What is the Provision Series?
- The Provision Series is a year long music project created by Jeff Pearce (who also happens to be the guy writing these FAQ's). From July 2011 to July 2012, I'll be releasing one mp3 "single" per month. For every single sold on iTunes, Amazon.com, and Bandcamp, $.30 will go to that month's charity. For every single sold on CDBaby.com, not only will $.30 be donated to that month's charity, but an additional $.30 will be donated to Lafayette Urban Ministry, a Lafayette, Indiana based organization that runs our local homeless shelter and food bank. On top of that, they have study programs for students at risk, a summer camp for low-income children, and a lot of other wonderful services. Find out more about them at their website
Ok- WHY are you doing the Provision Series?
- This series combines two of the things I love in this life: music and charitable giving. My wife and I have given to various charitable organizations over the years, and we've noticed that recent economic realities have impacted these places in the same way they've impacted everyone else. On top of that, we musicians can be, at times, more than a little self-centered; we are more than content to embrace our inner opera singer ("me me me me MEEEEEE!") all the while confusing success with significance. If we musicians were to spend half as much time doing something for a worthwhile charity as we do trying to get our cd's nominated for a Grammy or other awards, there could be some large amounts of kindness released into the world.
Tell me about the music.
- Sorry, that's not a question.
Whoa- didn't know you were so picky about that, Trebek. What can I expect musically from the music in the Provision Series?
- The music will be centered around the piano, with touches of my ambient guitar probably showing up here and there.
Where can I purchase the songs?
- You can purchase the songs at iTunes, CDBaby, amazon.com, and Bandcamp. There will be direct links to all four places on every month's Provision link.
How are the charities chosen?
- In making the choices of which charities to include in this program, I have chosen the kind of charities that I hope I will never need- or anyone else, for that matter. Some of them you will probably be familiar with (for example, the first month's charity, the Red Cross). Others, you'll probably be less familiar with; I know that I certainly was. From a practical point of view, every charity I considered was run through the databases of a few organizations that monitor a charity's activities, including the Better Business Bureau's Charity Reporting System and Charity Navigator.
What if I like the idea of the Provision Series, but not so much your music?
- You can DEFINITELY still contribute! On the page of every month's Provision song, there's a link directly to that month's charity. Click on the link, go to the charity's website, and contribute directly to them- they'll love you for it!
What's the significance of the name "Provision"?
- outside of the literal meaning of the word "provision", for me, there's something of a musical origin. For 18 years of cd releases, almost all of my music has started out as an improvisation. Right there in the word "improvisation" is the word "provision", if you look for it. :)